miércoles, 28 de septiembre de 2011

NEW YORK, NEW YORK

This is the first time after all these years that I "live" New York. Although on a business trip, I had some time to meet with executives in the music industry, particularly Jazz people in order to promote my company's Cancun Jazz Festival next May. I take the opportunity to inform all Jazz lovers of this important event that will feature musicians with the caliber of Chick Corea, and others.

I visited a new friend of mine, whom I've come to be very fond of possibly because I see a picture of myself a few years from now. His name is Gerry, he's Jewish and an atheist, and makes fun of pretty much everything including his family and most of all himself. I enjoy his educated sarcasm as well as his intellectual "thickness" and while we don't really share all political views, he is someone I can discuss with and leave with the impression that I have learned something new. He has a certain disdain for everything vulgar (vulgar meaning average and not necessarily obscene), stupidity and pin headedness; a feeling that I secretly share, although my humble upbringing and my precarious financial position prevent me from showing.

I joined Gerry at Pete's Tavern on Irving Place and 18th Street, and there he was letting me know about the uniqueness of the place and how it managed to survive prohibition and other "diseases". He could not take me to a "normal" joint; regardless of how lavish the restaurant may be; he is one of those who always seek something beyond the event, the place, or the fact. We enjoyed a nice lunch; salmon with vegetables and baked potatoes and I (please don't tell my wife) succumbed to the temptation of a glass of Pinot Grigio. how can you have salmon without white wine?. I made sure I picked the tab; not to be a show off or anything, but because he always pays, and I needed to make sure he realizes how much I enjoy him as a source of knowledge and not as a sponsor.

Gerry then showed me around with his pride of being a New Yorker, or a New York dweller for that matter, and I was able to see the area of NYU, the Village and even went inside the Blue Note to try and promote my business. That area is more subdued than your usual hustling and bustling New York, and the presence of so many youths reinvigorated my spirit; Gerry could not be any prouder of his city that I already feel mine. Once again I feel so blessed to live in this country. Yes I didn't come in the Mayflower, but I came as soon as I could and this city is certainly a treat    

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario