miércoles, 4 de mayo de 2011

POLL NUMBERS, TOUGH CALLS, AND AMERICAN VALUES

I hardly agree on anything with the current tenant at Pennsylvania 1600; however, the so far (according to the little information we have) impeccable operation of hunting down UBL is no doubt a winner and I congratulate, thank, and salute our Commander in Chief in no ambiguous terms. Kudos (lots of them) to President Obama, to our men and women in uniform and to all those directly or indirectly involved in this sting.

What amazes me is not the mere order given by Mr. Obama, but the months of planning, the meticulous preparation, and the painstaking gathering of information. It now seems that our people were tracking UBL since 2003 and that last August the President was for the first time briefed as to the tangible possibility that public enemy number one were hiding in that infamous compound we now all know to have been his lavish hide out for so long. It also appears that the Pentagon gave the president several options to get rid of the "jerk". He could have chosen the "safer" way of bombing the hell out of the compound reducing the risk of losing any of our men; instead, he decided to take the more difficult path of making sure Bin Laden's death was profusely documented and no doubts could be raised. For a president with a free falling approval rating it was a tough decision. Had UBL not been there by any chance, or had the operation gone south, he would have definitely gone down in history as Carter II. Contrary to his usually vacillating, hesitant way of making decisions, Obama gave it a loud, clear and manly GO. And while the details and nuances of this raid are still sort of hazy to most of us; we already know that UBL was not armed when two bullets pierced his body, one of them shattering his skull and making part of his brain matter spout like marshmallow. This leads me to believe that the president had chosen the "expeditious" way. No VIP prisoner, no circus trial in US soil or GITMO; get rid of the bastard and leave no body to worship. Tough call. The president had the courage to make it and I take my hat off to that.

As a result of this undeniable victory Mr. Obama has seen his number soar 11 points in two days.This upturn notwithstanding, we all know most victories are short lived and price at the pump can pull his numbers back to where they were a week ago or even lower. I wouldn't like to see him in the White House for another four years. But I believe the man deserves credit for doing the American thing in the American way. There is room for a realistic, and brief moment of celebration and we must all say unequivocally: "Thank you Mr. President.."; and if by any chance this gentleman showed signs of willingness to make the same tough calls in the economic area I might as well give a thought to rooting for him.  the only trouble is the gentleman doesn't even know I exist and even if he did, I don't think he would care much about what I feel.

2 comentarios:

  1. I am satisfied with the end result of the continued search since 2003...and we may accept the whole thing for what it is and not to try to see nothing beyond that...but I was raised in Cuba...I do not take things the way are presented...if seems like shit, smells like shit and tasted like shit, must be shit. The president was watching the events on real time and he stated that he did not see Osama being shot. Why dump the body in such a hurry at the sea, why the wives and the other people at the compound are being interrogated by the pakistany authorities and not by us...but we were able to pull the body out of there...these people were living there for 6 years and our intelligence did not get it...shame on us, i feel less secure than ever, why president Bush declined the invitation to the ground zero ceremony?. i don't know but everything seems to be a little too fishy for my taste, I cant swallow it...tell me the country needs a moral boost and that everyone would benefit from it including the president, tell me Osama was dead sometime ago but we did not have physical evidence and we have created a good mockup to put and end to that chapter and i will accept it, i will understand why Bush does not want to be part of this "farse", i will understand why intelligence did not found Osama under my bed since 2003, I will understand I promise u

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thanks for your comment. You may have a point and yes, nothing comeing from the government can be taken as it seems; however, indulging in conspiracy theories now would be like having indulged in conspiracy theories during the Bush era. Don;t forget there are some who claim the whole 9/11 issue was a government operation. I was also raised in Cuba and do share your inherent mistrust of everything official. Moreover, I would have never voted for this president, but I can't but apply the same yardstick to all events. if I rejected the conspiracy theory under Bush I must do the same under Obama. The president sounded too hasty for this to be something cooked months ago. I am happy UBL is gone and I won't second guess our Commander in Chief this time. But I respect and honor your opinion as if it were my own. Please keep sending your coments and if you don;t want to reveal your name, please use and ID so that I can address you more personally.
    Have a great weekend

    ResponderEliminar